180 days: check

15 Sep

12:16 am

Well, folks, I made it. 180 days as of yesterday (September 14th), which was about 16 minutes ago. And, you know what? I didn’t even think about it or remember what day it was until I was well into my shower this morning (which happened early because, you got it, I didn’t drink last night and I wasn’t hung over!)!

I am good and fine and thinking about so much besides drinking, or not drinking. My boyfriend and I are in Florida, and we just spent the past three days hitting Disney World and visiting his parents. Tomorrow will be another EASY SOBER DAY with thoughts of, well, things that come naturally and freely to think about that do not involve an ounce of obsessing over wine.

YES, at one point I thought, Ooh, it’d be nice to have a glass of red right about now, when my boyfriend’s mother offered me one and then fixed one for herself–it’s the first time I’m meeting them, actually–but, it came and went and the evening continued on. All I could think was how calm I felt, how different I feel–I mean, really, I feel like I don’t even know that crazy drunk girl that I used to be–how normal it seems to just take events as they come and deal with the irritations, the laughter, the everything sober. There’s so much more out there. Oh, right, that’s called Life. Why, hello there, I remember you!

On that note, I’m going to hit the sack. I can’t wait to share more insights when I get back (Tuesday).

Thank you, friends, for being there every step of the way.

16 Responses to “180 days: check”

1. Janet September 15, 2013 at 12:56 am #

Congratulations! This is a huge accomplishment. Just what I needed to read tonight after white knuckling it through a party where people expect me to be clutching a glass of wine. I am 17 days sober and look forward to waking up tomorrow without a hang over!

• Drunky Drunk Girl September 20, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Hi, Janet,
      Thank you! 17 days and at a party? Oh, man, that is rough. CONGRATS to you, THAT is huge. I was 18 days (my very first time getting sober last June–I slipped a few times before I really got sober in October), and I went to a wedding. It was hard, but SO worth it. I felt so proud afterward–as should you. xx

2. furtheron September 15, 2013 at 3:21 am #

Congratulations. Good luck with the next 180…

I have a friend who counted everyday for years he say “Today I’m grateful to not have had a drink and today is my 679th day sober” sadly he stopped but it was a true reflection of how much it meant to him.

• Drunky Drunk Girl September 20, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Thank you!

(I haven’t set a new goal yet, but I figure, by the time I decide–and I’ll for sure keep on keepin’ on, no thoughts about switching course now, until then–the next 180 will probably have passed already. In fact it’s been almost a week, and I sort of like this new sober-but-not-counting-days thing…weird.)

3. Amy September 15, 2013 at 7:58 am #

I’m glad. 🙂

4. changingcoursenow September 15, 2013 at 8:07 am #

Such a nice post to read this morning. You sound healthy and grounded and happy. I’m really happy for you!

• Drunky Drunk Girl September 20, 2013 at 9:00 am #

Thank you! Not always, but yes to all three more of the time than not! LOL

5. thirstystill September 15, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Congratulations. Sounds like you’re doing really well. That’s so good to hear! I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.

• Drunky Drunk Girl September 20, 2013 at 9:00 am #

Thank you! Sounds like you’re doing really great, too. Keep it up!

6. jenisthesoberist September 15, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

Congratulations, what a great accomplishment. Enjoy the rest of your trip! Peace, Jen

7. Jen September 15, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Woohoo! 180 days is awesome!

8. Lilly September 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

YAY yayyayyayyayyay! You have surpassed yourself and it is just getting better and better. I can hear it in your posts. You sound so strong and just… GOOD… right now. That is fanastic. It’s a motherfucking disco party of prancing unicorns with glitter raining down upon them in fact.

I can’t believe I thought that I am right behind you at 139 days because not so long ago 42 days sober would have seemed like an impossible eternity. And I had to look at my iPhone app to work that out to so I know what you mean about when you become unaware of the exact days or even weeks – such a great shift.

I am so pleased and proud of you.

Lilly xoxo

• Drunky Drunk Girl September 20, 2013 at 8:56 am #

Prancing unicorns!!!

I know, it’s weird (and a bit unsettling) how fast time seems to be going now. Or rather, like it’s just back to normal, speeding on by. I do feel GOOD, in that, I just don’t feel that bad anymore–LOL. It’s a relief to finally truly be able to think about other stuff (like work…yikes) and to not feel beholden/obsessed by thoughts of drinking. It’s not like it’s lost its lure completely, but…I just know that IF I drink, there will be tradeoffs, ones that I may or may not be ready to make. I’d rather just keep on, as I feel a momentum (of mind? of motivation? of spirit?) creeping up and I really worry that drinking (even once) could affect that.

And, wow, you’re already at 139??? It seems like a few weeks ago that you were at 100? Major unicorn hugs coming your way, lovely friend! You’re doing so, so great.

xx