Tonight I won’t drink because…

28 Oct

8:49 pm

I don’t want to feel drunk, or sick to my stomach. Or dizzy. I don’t want to feel dizzy, like my head is coming unglued, my brain unzipped, my thoughts not forming or falling apart as they form.

I don’t want to feel hung over tomorrow and ruin the day. Or the next two days. Or the rest of the week. I could really do without feeling like death, having a panic attack, and being barely able to function mentally and emotionally for the next several days, yes. I don’t want to be hung over, ever, EVER again.

I don’t have the money, if I’m honest, to waste on wine.

I will piss out the wine almost as fast as I drink it, along with all my nutrients (because I am, actually, eating now). But not before the wine soaks every organ in my body, metabolizes into a carcinogenic chemical, and turns my urinary tract into an acidic hell. No, no. I don’t have much say over the miracle of my physiology, but at least I can put gas in gas, and oil in oil, and make sure to not mix the two. Yes, I get the magnitude of this simple choice now, this choice of GOOD fuel over, well, dirty oil.

I don’t want to cry, or weep. About old things. Sad things. Things I’ve done. Things that are not what I’ve got going on now, what I’m doing now, who I am now, what I’m working toward now.

I have work to do. And I will have work to do tomorrow. And, I actually want to work instead of avoiding it by drinking and making it impossible to even try.

I don’t want to call people, like an ex, or my brother who hasn’t forgiven me for freaking out on him two years ago, and say things that they don’t deserve to hear.

I don’t want to be emotional. I want to be cold, precise, and sharp. Empty, even.

I don’t want to yell at people, for no reason, or every reason. I don’t have the energy to waste, and even if I did, I wouldn’t want to spend it on this.

I want what I have now, which is a certain calm, a deep well that doesn’t move at night, that keeps me in its grasp–finally.

I want to be responsible, boring even. I don’t need the drama, the attention, the diversion; I have a goal, a purpose, which is, well, being sober and then, working on allowing everything else to happen.

I like wearing my “mom” jeans, OK?

14 Responses to “Tonight I won’t drink because…”

1. justanewme October 28, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Knew here was a reason I left my email open– thanks for the reminders. Needed them this week

2. dianna October 28, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

i love your blog. thanks for writing.

3. Mrs D October 28, 2013 at 11:58 pm #

Great post. Love this. xx

• Drunky Drunk Girl November 6, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

Thank you, Mrs. D! Hope the book writing is going GREAT. Hugs from over here. 🙂

4. furtheron October 29, 2013 at 4:07 am #

Great post.

I don’t know if I relish the responsibly bit now but I do at least try and do it.

5. Katherine October 29, 2013 at 7:36 am #

Me too ! You describe drinking so disgustingly perfect! Thanks for the reminder of those wasted, self injurious times. I chose to be ‘boring, responsible, calm’ ME!!! 🙂 Hugs to you!

• Drunky Drunk Girl November 6, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

Isn’t it? Sometimes, it just helps to remember all the bad stuff, down to the nitty gritty…because whenever I get a craving, I seem to conveniently (for wolfie) forget it all!

6. gigimamma October 29, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

love it. describes the “joys” of drinking perfectly. So happy to be awake, clear headed and purposeful. felling well and happy instead of hungover and remorseful.

7. Amy October 31, 2013 at 6:40 am #

I think we were much MUCH more boring when drunk. Oh, look. Amy blacked out again. And now she’s saying the same stuff over and over. And now she needs to sleep all day to recover.

I’m still reveling in the regular-ness of it all. And also that I can make and keep 9 AM dentist appointments.

• Drunky Drunk Girl November 6, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

Totally! Everything you said! And, I remember the first time I scheduled and made an early-morning appointment when I first got sober–I felt incredible!

8. heidie November 23, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Thank you for your blog! Love your posts.